Brief note on Nelamangala Taluk
taluk comes under bangalore rural district and having three hoblies.
and has 22 grama panchayaths.
main activity of the taluk is manufacture of silk cloths by using power looms
and other activities of the taluk are Agarbatti making, Handicraft articles etc.
Also different types of small scale and large scale industries are set up in the
NELAMANGALA situated on the National highway (27 km
) is found mentioned as `Nelavangala' a headquarters of
a Sime in a record dated 1464 A.D. of a Vijayanagara fedatory from
Kanasawadi. One Junjanayaka was the officer in charge of this Sime.
The place had the name `Bhumadana' according to some tradition, not
confirmed by records. Nelmangala appears to have been transferred to
Rajas along with Thyamagondlu by the Mughals, around 1689
A.D., having acquired it from Bijapur. The place has temples of Rudra-
deva, Basaveshwara, Anjaneya (two), Lakshmi Channakeshava (small),
Ganesha, Kashi Vishveshwara, Veeranjaneya, Mahalingeshwara, Basavanna,
The Rudradeva temple in
style has two cells, one having
Veerabhadra and the other having a Shivalinga, and is renovated.
Outside is a small shrine of Candkieshwara and facing the temple is a
four-pillared Mantappa called Vasantha Mantapa with a stucco tower. The
Lakshmi-Channakeshava temple has one cell having a recently established
Kannikaparameshwari. The Kashi Vishveshvara on the tankbund is
built in later Vijayanagar style. Nearby is a modern Rama Mandira and
its pillars have fine relief sculptures. There is an unpublished
inscription dating circa 1743 A.D. On the Sondekoppa road (Two km) in
a quiet place amidst rocky blocks is a small
There is also a choultry and the place can serve as a good picnic
spot. On the Basavanahalli road is a huge Venkateshwara temple facing
east built in later Vijayanagar style. Its Navaranga has pillars in
later Vijayanagara style. There is an open Mukhamantappa. Outside the
temple is a kalyani in-between the two rocks and it is having stone
steps. On its bank is a small deserted shrine having a two
handed image. Behind the Venkateshwara is a small shrine housing
Ranganathaswamy in high relief, facing west. The annual Jatra and car
festival are held together during April on the Chitta star for a span
of three days. Across the road are separate temples of Anjaneya,
Kannappa and Ganesha, all recent. The place has one mosque. Near bus
stand is one Dargah.
Back to top